Thermal spraying is a commonly used process for surface treatment, protection and repair of mechanical parts, which has good effects on improving the wear resistance of parts and prolonging the service life of parts. The process is widely used in the machinery, shipbuilding, steelmaking, petroleum and aerospace industries. Grinding and processing thermal spray workpieces with resin diamond grinding wheel can achieve good processing results and good economic benefits. As we all know, diamond is the hardest material known in nature, and it’s suitable for processing hard and brittle materials such as cemented carbide, engineering ceramics, glass, semiconductor materials ferrite, gemstones and so on. In comparison, the hardness of diamond is twice that of boron carbide, three times that of silicon carbide and four times that of corundum.
Grinding thermal spray material with superhard material wheel has the following advantages.
- It has high grinding efficiency. When resin diamond grinding wheel is used for cemented carbide grinding, its grinding efficiency is more than 10 times that of SIC grinding wheel.
- The resin diamond grinding wheel offered by Glory Diamond Tools has high wear resistance. The wear resistance of the diamond grinding wheel is high, and the abrasive consumption is very small. Especially when the hard and brittle material with the hardness of the workpiece HRC ≥ 65 is processed, the excellent heat is particularly prominent. Glory Diamond Tools could offer grinding wheels, like 1A1 diamond grinding wheel, 1A1R diamond grinding wheel, etc.
- The grinding force is small and the temperature in the grinding zone is high. Diamond abrasives have high hardness and wear resistance, and the abrasive particles can remain sharp for a long time and are easy to cut into the workpiece. When resin bond diamond grinding wheel is used for grinding a thermally sprayed carbide workpiece, the grinding force is only 1/5-1/6 of the grinding force of the ordinary grinding wheel. In addition, with high thermal conductivity of diamond, the grinding heat is easily transmitted, so the temperature in the grinding zone is low. For example, when silicon carbide grinding wheel is used for grinding cemented carbide workpiece and the grinding depth is 0.02mm, the grinding zone temperature is up to 1000℃to 1200℃. With resin bond diamond grinding wheel under the same conditions, the temperature is only about 400 ℃. The low temperature in the grinding zone can improve the surface quality of the workpiece and reduce the thickness of the surface strain layer of the sprayed surface of the workpiece after grinding to prevent flaking.
- The shape and position tolerance of the grinding workpiece is small, the dimensional precision is high, the surface processing quality of the workpiece is good, and the service life of the sprayed workpiece is improved. When the cemented carbide or cermet workpiece is ground with resin diamond wheel, it can reach Ra 0.2 or above.
- When resin bond diamond grinding wheel is used for grinding the thermal spray workpiece, the grinding wheel can be trimmed into a special shape as needed to meet the processing requirements.